After playing the Alpha version for a few weeks I have a suggestion for improving the user experience:
When you attack something, always resolve the battle immediately and show the results.
The battles that currently work in the desired manner are when you attack:
- a Precursor Anomaly
- a Shipyard
- a Starbase
- a Ship Graveyard
- a planet that is defended by 1 or more ships
- individual ships and fleets
The battles that do NOT work this way (the results do not display until the start of the next turn) are when you attack:
- an Artifact
- a Capsule
- Space Junk
- a planet that is not defended by any ships
By not showing the battle resolution immediately you get the following negative effects:
- for artifacts, capsules, and space junk, you do not see your "prize" until the start of your next turn. If you attacked multiple items, your could get multiple instances of the same "prize" which, in many cases, do not accumulate. For example, if you get 2 or more Slipstream Accelerators you will pay for each one, but you will only have 1 available to add to a ship. This is true of many "prizes". Players should either be able to accumulate ship upgrades (preferrable solution) or apply them immediately after winning them (fallback solution).
- When you attack an undefended planet and you are successful, your fleet will disappear into the planet at the end of your turn and you will have to remember what planet(s) you attacked so you can go find them and eject them from the planet. It would be much more user-friendly to be able to eject them immediately after the battle so you don't have to try to find them again on your next turn.